Designed by the architect William Butterfield in the Gothic style of the day, the church was built between 1868 and 1874. From the outside it looks fairly ordinary, but the inside tells a different story.
The stained glass and mosaic windows are vivid. There is a Calgary window in the church dedicated to Elizabeth Bertie Mathew and her sister. The Chancel is richly decorated with many varieties of Devon marble most of which is from Petitor quarry.